Frequently Asked Questions

How are Community-Academic Partners in Service (CAPS) and the Institute for Community Partnerships (ICP) related?

CAPS supports community service opportunities for students and runs several community programs both on and off campus. ICP supports community-based research and service-learning at Loma Linda University Health and strives to connect LLUH and the local community through community engagement.

How do I learn about CAPS programs?

To learn more about what CAPS is doing, visit their website or call (909) 651-5011.

What is the difference between community engagement and community service?

Community engagement is a long-term collaborative partnership between institutions of higher education and their larger communities for the mutually beneficial exchange of knowledge and resources (Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, 2014). Community service can be a one-time experience or on-going projects that do not necessarily have an academic or research foundation.

What is service-learning?

Service-learning is a structured learning experience that combines community engagement with academic preparation, reflection, and ongoing assessment (Loma Linda University Service Learning Committee, 2014).

How does ICP define community?

ICP’s focus is on the Inland Empire, or regions east of the Los Angeles metro area. This focus area extends to the desert areas of Riverside County and the high desert areas of San Bernardino County. Community can include individuals, organizations, government agencies, foundations, other colleges and universities, school districts and much more!

How do I partner with international programs?

For more information on International opportunities through Loma Linda University Health check out the following websites: Global Health Institute and Students for International Mission Service.